The backstory: I started this coat 6 years ago with fabric I purchased from a friend more than 15 years ago. When I bought this wool I had intended on printing cyanotypes on it… but the time passed and I found a pattern on Burda Style and thought I’d attempt to sew a coat.
Where I’m at: Talea is the pattern – and I’ve used the modifications suggested by another seamstress for the pockets on the front of the body of the coat. The sleeves are together. The body is together. This is where I stopped because I bought fabric for a lining – black crepe – but don’t know exactly how to go about adding a lining to a garment with sleeves. So, that is where I got stuck. I’d love to get it finished so I can enjoy it for part of the winter here in Northern Michigan. It’s just a matter of my getting over my perfectionism and actually finishing something.
This coat is a fine example of the things I need to overcome. There is a pull from something inside me that keeps me from completing projects – especially ones like this where I have some of the skills but not all of them. I have to get over the need for things to turn out flawless – and just start learning and attempting new things and actually finishing projects. That is the motivation behind the Red’s Threads project. If I can finish this, I can finish anything.
8954 East Hoxie Road
Cedar, Michigan 49621